We are screening all that are in the mission, quarantining all that have symptoms and we are following recommended sanitation and CDC prevention; therefore,
The Howard County Board of Health approves that we continue to offer:
Grab and Go meals are available seven days a week in our parking lot
12:00 pm – 12:30 pm and 4:30 pm – 5:00 pm
Grocery Bag Assistance, every Wednesday
10:00 am – 11:00 am and 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
(Photo ID required, one bag per household per week)
The Kokomo Rescue Mission is dedicated to the safety and provision of homeless in North Central Indiana and desires to communicate well with the community.
We were notified today, March 31st, that a test administered to one of our residents on March 17th was positive for COVID-19. They have passed their 14 days of quarantine and we have not had other cases that have come forward to be tested, for that we are thankful. While we were not surprised by this, as we service a vulnerable population, we wanted to communicate this with the public so that you know what we are doing to further prevent spread of this disease.
During this crisis the Kokomo Rescue Mission has been dedicated to preventing the spread of this virus by:
- February 17th-We increased our sanitation and purchased masks etc. for all entering the facility with a cough and other symptoms
- March 2nd-We quarantined our first resident with symptoms not confirmed as COVID-19.
- March 6th-We started taking temperatures of all residents and staff regularly and completing health questionnaires on all residents.
- March 11th-We started working closely with the Howard County Board of Health
- March 12th-We cancelled volunteers not essential to operations.
- March 16th-Howard County Yellow Restrictions of travel were enforced. Grab it and Go meals were started and we enforced social distancing in all areas.
- March 17th-We discontinued all residential pick-ups.
- March 20th-Howard County upgraded restrictions to an orange status for travel. We locked our front door and cancelled all volunteers. We began our Grocery bag assistance program, still abiding by social distancing with a drive up venue.
- March 31st-We contacted the Howard County Board of health to make sure what we were offering to the public, Grab and Go meals and Grocery Assistance, was still safe.
We ask that you pray for us as we feel it necessary to fill the need of providing healthy meals for our community. To God be the Glory. We appreciate the prayers and financial support that we have received thus far.
Van C. Taylor, Executive Director
Kokomo Rescue Mission
Sign up here to join our e-mail distribution list, so you can stay on top of everything that’s happening at Kokomo Rescue Mission. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Kokomo Rescue Mission has programs for men, women, and children. We work compassionately with our guests to meet their short- and long-term needs—physically, mentally, and spiritually.
A Personal Message
Mike Fox, president of our board of directors, says that “restoring lives can begin with a single meal,” and that our success can only be measured in intangibles. Read his short message, and consider your own part in this process.